Vista/Server 2008 include support for expanding hard disk partitions in the Disk Management MMC snap-in, but XP/2003 support it as well (if you’re not afraid of the command line). To expand a partition:
- Open a command window
- Type “DISKPART” and press Enter to run the partition manager
- “LIST DISK” and press enter to show general disk information, including unused space
- “LIST VOLUME” to show the volumes. Make note of the volume you’d like to modify
- “SELECT VOLUME 0”, where “0” is actually the volume number you’re expanding
- “EXTEND” to expand the partition into all available space
- “EXIT” to leave DISKPART
There you go – enjoy your newly expanded partition, with no reboot necessary!
WARNING: Messing with your partitions can cause serious problems, including losing the ability to boot Windows or permanently deleting data. Only use this utility to if you know what you’re doing! You’ve been warned!