Power BI Server – Resolving “Web Portal URLs and Web Service URLs don’t match”

After replacing an expired SSL certificate on Power BI Server, we were no longer able to browse the site – we received an error that “The report server isn’t configured properly… The report server Web Portal URLs and Web Service URLs don’t match”:

We hadn’t changed the Power BI Server settings aside from updating the certificate, but now couldn’t load the site without getting this error message.

We were able to resolve it by manually updating both URLs (Web Service and Web Portal) in Report Server Configuration Manager to the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) – normally, the HTTP version of the URL is set to “All Assigned” (and shows the server name) and the HTTPS version shows the name on the certificate (in our case, both the old and new certificate had the FQDN). This is how it looked on the other servers that worked:

No obvious errors, but manually changing the HTTP URL for both Service and Portal to FQDN fixed the Power BI Server site – things started to work again instantly. This bothered me, though – none of the other servers needed this setting changed, and they were all perfectly fine with the server short name in the HTTP URL.

Cause/Solution:

The issue ended up being Internet Information Services installed on the same server – even though the primary site was disabled, it was bound to port 80 on all IPs without a host name, so it was claiming the “HTTP://+:80” that Power BI Server was also trying to bind. Because this bind was failing, Power BI couldn’t register matching URLs and gave us the error.

To resolve it, we added a phony hostname to the Default Web Site in IIS (even though it was stopped and shouldn’t have caused an issue) so that that it didn’t claim everything at Port 80:

Once this was done, we set the Power BI configuration back to “All Assigned” and it re-registered its own URLs, and then things started working perfectly again. I’m not sure if IIS was installed by our server admins during our certificate update, or if some other configuration change caused IIS to change how it registered the URL, but this resolved this issue.

Hopefully it helps somebody else!

Error creating emailed report subscriptions in Sharepoint-integrated SSRS

Anybody who has the rights to run a report in SSRS can set up a subscription, delivering the report to their own email address. However, if you try to deliver the report as an email to somebody else, you might be greeted with this unclear error message:
Reporting Services - other users email address
It reads:

A subscription delivery error has occurred. (rsDeliveryError)
   One of the extension parameters is not valid for the
   following reason: The account you are using does not
   have administrator privileges. A subscription cannot
   be created for bob.thompson@mydomain.com.
   (rsInvalidExtensionParameter)

I was setting up a subscription in our Sharepoint-integrated SQL Reporting Services site, and was attending to send the report to our shared group email address. I could set it up to deliver to me and I could forward it, but it wasn’t letting me send the email to anybody else’s email address, either inside or outside the organization.

Solution: Grant your user “Create Alerts” and “Manage Alerts” permission

I received this error because I lacked the “Create Alerts” and “Manage Alerts” on the report in question (or folder, or higher up). The error says you need to be an administrator, but doesn’t really tell you what’s wrong with your request – it’s really complaining that you’re delivering an alert to somebody else. Granting those rights to your user account (for that report, or to an object above it so they propagate down to that report) allows you to send the report to any email address you want.

I hope this helps!

“Initializing Reconciler has failed” when setting up SQL Compact replication

When initializing replication to a .NET Compact Framework client on a mobile device, I was receiving an error message when I attempted to start the synchronize:

Initializing the SQL Server Reconciler has failed. Try again.

I had confirmed that SQL Compact web replication was set up correctly, and checking the URL came back as expected. Searching for the error online comes back with a dozen recommendations, but when I traced the replication sync attempt, I saw the following statement executed:

exec sp_helpdistpublisher N’SQLSERVERNAME’

Followed immediately by the error message:

The remote server “SQLSERVERNAME” does not exist, or has not been designated as a valid Publisher, or you may not have permission to see available Publishers.

Sure enough, executing that command in SSMS, logged in as my replication user, gave me the same error message. At some point, I’d changed the user I was using to set up the subscription, and that user didn’t have rights to view the publication list on my SQL Server. The fix was pretty easy:

  1. In SQL Management Studio, right-click the publication
  2. Select “Properties” and then open the “Publication Access List” tab
  3. Add the user you’re connecting your subscriber with to this list

Here’s a shot of the screen where I had to make this change, in case there’s any confusion:

Publication Security Settings